Have you ever thought of pursuing photography as a career? If taking photos is your hobby you can pursue photography and earn lucrative amount of money based on your experience and skills. Nowadays, most industries are in need of photographers; be it wedding, crime scene, portrait, commercial photography, good skills and professionalism is the key and will go along away in getting you a job. If you have imagination coupled with artistic bend and a good eye to spot the unnatural, you can make a good photographer.
How to pursue photography as a career
If you think that photography is just about a simple click and shot, then you are greatly mistaken. There are many things that you must learn before you can take it as an option. If you wish to become serious with it you must know the duties that it entails. Although digital photography is becoming famous with beginners there is a line of photography that requires professionalism. In a career pursuit, you need to learn about photography and the best way to do this is to enroll in school , Moreover, you may try out your hand as an apprentice to an established photographer or even sign up for seminars that are conducted by professionals. Once you are trained and you can cope up with photography as a career there are many jobs available that you can pursue. There might seem to be a lot of opportunities in this field but living off it can be difficult unless you take it serious. If you are planning to build studio having a proper location is also important.
Different types of photographers?
Photojournalism- These are photographers who work for magazines and newspapers. They are commissioned to get photography for situations, events and things. With their photographic talent, they combine the ability to find and record a dramatic action. Since this job may be carried out in hazardous situations, it requires agility. Besides, you must be alert and carefully observe things.
Advertising- As an advertising photographer you must strike a balance between your creativity and what your client wants so that you can convey the desired message. This job, however, offers you with a tremendous scope of creative skills and experimentations.
Commercial photography- If you are a commercial photographer you are generally involved in photographing for commercial segments such as exteriors, interiors, merchandise, machinery, and fashion. A great variety of cameras, probes and lights are used for this kind of photography.
Wildlife photography- If you are intending to become a wildlife photographer, you must have a lot of interest in nature, birds, wildlife, and their habitats. Also, you must be a keen observer, patient, and love adventure. This kind of photography requires you to wait for the best hour to catch the animals in the right pose and mood. This work is often carried out in forests, game reserves, and sanctuaries. Although it’s very hard and challenging it’s very much remunerative.
Fashion photography- Amongst all the forms of photography, this is one of the highest paying forms. As a fashion photographer, you cater for fashion houses, models, designers, fashion magazines, and journal among others. To pursue this kind of photography as a career, you are not only required to have knowledge on fashion an eye for details. More so, you have to be aware of trends and moods. Your job as photographer is in the studio as well as the location.
see also: How to Become a Fashion Photographer
Aerial photography- Ariel photographers generally take pictures of places and locations that cannot be reached with ease due to war, natural disasters, and other similar situations. As a photographer, you are required to take these photos from the aircraft. These photographs are then used for industrial, business, scientific, and military purposes.
5 key tips to pursuing photography as a career
1. Define success- Before doing anything you should know your idea of a success. Defining your idea of success will help you in setting goals and working towards achieving them remember the word success is very relative and it means different thing to different people for instance, yours may come in the form of being a career photographer or earning some money while still keeping your day time job.
2. Know your brand- Just like anything else it’s also very important that you define your brand. When it comes to photography, there are many opportunities that you can pursue. For instance, you can be a portrait, event or a wedding photographer. The most important thing that you can do after knowing your brand is networking and connecting to as many people as you can. Promote yourself through social media and give your card to everyone in your social circle.
3. Set realist goals- Before venturing into this field, you must know the overall goal of what you want to achieve. Irrespective of what you want to achieve, small and short terms goals are very important since they are easy to achieve. They will keep you inspired and motivated because you can achieve them very quickly and move to the next projects. If you are not working towards small projects you might get discouraged and leave the job.
4. Be flexible- Sometimes you might find that your goals and your idea of success might change it’s, therefore, very important to be flexible. For instance, if you decide that you do not want to be a fulltime wedding photographer you may decide to switch to another thing. There is no point of wasting your time and energy in pursing something that does not satisfy you. This probably beats the purpose why you joined photography in the first place.
5. Always be stay informed- While freedom of expression is very important irrespective of the career that you have chosen, being informed in the current trends is very important in photography. Although you should stay true to yourself ensure that you always find away to incorporate the current trends.
Typically, photography is a form of art that goes beyond taking training to becoming one. You should not only have the technical experience but aesthetic feel as well. However, before becoming one it’s important to go for training and set realistic goals. Just like many other jobs you can pursue photography as a career and succeed. Also, since there are many types of photography you should know where your strength lies and focus on that.
** NOTE ** If you’d like to know more about photography business , Learn the essential lessons you need to know to start, run and grow a successful photography business.