If you have never worked with prime lens before, it may be because you are yet to understand the many benefits that come with it. One of such advantages is the ability to achieve a super awesome sharpness and image quality using the prime lens. You will still learn how to choose the best prime lens for the type of your photography if you want to get an awesome result.
Of course, there are different prime lens out there, and many of them have awesome quality and sharpness. Therefore choosing the perfect one will take some learning. If you are searching for the perfect prime lens for your type of photography, this article will teach you everything you need to know to select the best prime lens for you.
Choosing the Perfect Prime Lens
With a lot of prime lenses to choose from; the question is which one will be right for you? Buying a very expensive prime lens may not provide you with the solution you are looking for. You will need to pinpoint your needs and select the lens that helps you achieve those needs.
To find out which one is the perfect lens for your photography needs, I will suggest you use a trial-and-error method. This method allows you to try different zoom lenses until you get the one that completely satisfies your needs.
Below are the 5 step to choosing the perfect prime lens:
1. This first step involves choosing one of your existing zoom lenses.
2. Once you have chosen from your existing lenses, the next step is to set the lens you chose on a focal length and then leave it there.
3. Using this lens, proceed to shoot with it for about a week or thereabout using that particular setting. The objective here is to get familiar enough with it. Use the same setting to shoot your ideal subjects. Your ideal subjects are the type of objects you photograph most of the time. After shooting, take a look and see how that focal length feels.
4. After getting the result from the first zoom lens, you will choose another zoom lens and repeat the steps I suggested above. The aim here is to compare all of them and then choose the best.
5. Now that you've tested all your existing zoom lenses, evaluate your experience shooting at different lengths. Continue with your evaluation until you find the settings at which you felt most comfortable. This level will serve as an indication of where to start when you are in the market for a perfect or suitable prime lens for you.
You may need to experiment with various zoom lenses before choosing the one that is perfect for you. Most professional photographers have various zoom lenses such as 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.8 and even 24mm f/2.8. Of course, you don't have to buy or use all of them. However, you may need a different lens for a different occasion. As you grow in your profession, your collection of lenses will certainly increase. For now, experiment and choose the best lens with the phenomenal sharpness and excellent image quality.